Becoming a member is easy, making a commitment to Electrical Safety is essential.
Member benefits include:
- Free Technical advice.
- Networking with other professionals in the Electrical Industry
- Technical Information nights for members and guests at various locations. (Vic & QLD only at present).
- Email Newsletter service to all members of new Safety, Technical, Regulators and Australian Standards changes and updates.
- Acces to the website members area, a technical resource library constantly updated as new information becomes available.
- Opportunity to provide input to Australian Standards required by the Electrical Industry.
New applications for Membership must include:
- A completed application form
- Copies of your Qualifications (Electrical Licences or Degree/Diploma or Electrical Inspection Authorisations if applicable)
Membership Fees Structure:
Do not send payment with membership application, you will receive an invoice for membership fees from the IEI Administration once your application is successfully processed
New applications - $195 (may be reduced dependant upon date of application)
Membership renewal fee for 2016/2017: $145.00. (Determined by Board of Directors Annually)
Applications received without the required documentation will not be processed and will be returned to the applicant
- Due annually on 1st July each year.
- An Invoice is sent to each members address via email or Australia Post approximately 10th May each year.
- It is the responsibility of each member to ensure your details on our files are up to date.
- Failure to ensure this may result in members not receiving information or renewals.
New applicants membership fee may be reduced dependant upon the date your application is received in the current financial year. If a new applicant is unsure what fee is required please email the Secretary for further information.
Membership classification changes/personal details update
Applications for Membership changes must include:
- Completed membership changes form
- Evidence to support your application
Example: Associate member who has obtained an Inspectors licence or higher Qualification entitling the member to upgrade from Associate to Corporate. Existing Associate/Corporate member wishing to upgrade to Senior member.
(No Fee charged).
Send the above documentation to:
PO Box 51
can be emailed to:
Types of Membership
Corporate Membership is designed primarily for individuals that carry out Electrical Inspections as the main task of their work. These people form the majority of the Institute membership and have full voting rights at official meetings.
The following shall be eligible for membership as Corporate Members;
- Persons who have been authorised by legislation or by a supply authority or inspecting organisation to inspect electrical installations and or equipment for compliance with the minimum standards required by legislation.
- Persons who supervise or control the technical duties of those persons defined in clause 1 above.
- Persons who hold an Electrical Engineering Degree, Diploma, Associate Diploma, Advanced Certificate or Certificate as recognised by the Council, or equivalent qualifications.
Associate membership was designed for people that have a keen interest in electrical safety, and although they might not be a qualified Electrical Inspector, like to be involved and keep in touch with the activities of the Institute.
The following shall be eligible for membership as Associate Members;
- Persons who hold an electrical workers licence (Electrician) which allows them to legally carry out electrical installing work in a State or Territory of Australia or other Country acceptable to the Council without supervision.
- Persons who are not eligible to be Corporate members and who have an active interest or participate in the electrical industry.
- Electricians, Registered Electrical Contractors, Electrical Supervisors or Electrical Trade Teachers who have an interest in keeping up to date with the latest developments in the Electrical Industry.
The following shall be eligible for membership as Senior Members:
(a) Seniors Card Holder (Government issued); or
(b) Are over 65 years of age
(c) May only nominate for a Directors position if a corporate membership had been held prior to applying for "Senior Member" membership status;and
(d) Membership fee is set at 50% of the annual membership fee and nomination fee remains the same
Seniors Membership fee 2016-2017 $70
NOTE: Any applications for change of membership class (Corporate to Senior, Associate to Corporate, Associate to senior or Associate to Corporate) will not be processed during the Membership fee invoicing period which occurs from May to September each year.Any applications received during these months will be processed as of Octiober each year and members notified accordingly.
IEI Members Code of Conduct
All members of the Institute of Electrical Inspectors agree to abide by the rules contained within the IEI Code of Conduct.
IEI and the GST
Although the Institute has registered for an ABN number, it has not registered with the Australian Tax Office to collect the GST and therefore is not permitted to issue "Tax Invoices".
The cost of the GST added to services paid for by the institute is absorbed by the institute and this additional cost is included within the membership fees.
Acrobat Reader is required to view and print the membership form